COVID-19 – Our New Office Normal
As you may be aware, all dental offices were mandated to close for all routine appointments by the Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH) as of 3/16/20 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This pandemic has changed our world and new measures needed to be taken everywhere to assure the safest and most healthy environment possible. With this in mind, our dental office wanted to assure you that we are doing everything possible to have our office be as safe as possible for our patients and staff.
Our office has always followed infection control recommendations made by the American Dental Association (ADA), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We continually follow the activities of these agencies so that we are up-to-date on any new rulings or guidance that may be issued with specific reference to COVID-19.
You will see some changes at your next appointment to help protect our patients and staff:
- As recommended by the DOH, CDC, and American Dental Association, all patients and staff are asked to continue to wear a mask when inside of our building.
- If you are more comfortable calling from your car when you arrive for your appointment – for social distancing – please call our office at (717) 338-9905 and let us know that you have arrived. We will let you know when the lobby is clear to come inside.
- We ask everyone to use hand sanitizer upon arrival. There are several hand sanitizer stations in our lobby and throughout our office.
- Staff may wear additional protective equipment as required such as gowns, face shields, and higher level protective masks.
- There will be less seating in the lobby area to keep patients at a safer distance apart. It is therefore recommended that only patients come to the appointments if possible. If a caregiver is necessary, we can offer assistance for the patient, and then the caregiver can remain in their car until the patient is done. For parents with children, it would be preferred, if possible, that only the child and parent with appointments come inside.
- Protective windows have been added at check-in and check-out to protect our patients and staff.
- Screening of patients will be done at each appointment to ensure no COVID-19 symptoms. If you have any symptoms such as fever, shortness of breath, cough, a recent loss of taste/smell, contact with a positive COVID patient, or travel in a high risk area in the last two weeks, we ask that you reschedule your appointment.
- Each patient will do an anti-microbial mouth rinse at the beginning of each appointment.
- Magazines, books, and toys have been temporarily removed as we aren’t able to disinfect these properly.
- Where possible, we are scheduling appointments far enough apart, with extra time in between, to minimize possible contact with other patients.
- If patients have emergencies but also have COVID-19 symptoms, they will NOT be seen by our office and will be immediately referred to the hospital or an appropriate emergency doctor for treatment.
We are making every effort to continue to serve our patients to the best of our abilities and to keep everyone safe, staff included.
Please stay healthy and safe!